Your Essential Home Maintenance Checklist
Have you fallen behind on home maintenance chores in the past? If so, there’s an easy solution. Just follow this basic checklist!
You don’t have to tackle everything at once. If you devote a little bit of time to home maintenance throughout the year, you’ll be able to make sure that your home stays in excellent condition. When you’re having a declutter, you might want to consider local self-storage in Farnborough.
Just refer to this checklist if you don’t know what you should be doing:
Every week, you’ll want to take on a few of these tasks:
- If you have carpeting, you’ll want to vacuum. If your floors are hardwood, you should sweep and mop them.
- Make sure your bathroom gets the maintenance it needs. This doesn’t have to take hours. Just take on a few simple tasks. For example, you could use a tool to clean hair out of drains. You could take the time to look for damaged tiles and repair them.
- Every week, the exterior of your appliances should get a good cleaning. You should also clean the interior of one appliance. Tackle a different appliance each week. If you cleaned your dishwasher last week, you can clean your fridge this week.
There are likely a lot of maintenance tasks you know that you need to handle. However, it’s hard to find the time. If you have a free afternoon, you should take these tasks on:
- Change your boiler’s filter. If it doesn’t need to be replaced just yet, it should be cleaned. This can improve the boiler’s performance, which will lead to lower utility costs.
- Make sure your oven hood and your filter are cleaned.
- Take the time to dust fixtures, clean baseboards, and polish furniture as needed.
- Inspect the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. These devices keep you safe, so you’ll want to make sure they are functioning properly. It’s smart to inspect your fire extinguisher as well.
- Check your home’s exterior to see if you can spot any issues. For example, you may notice that trees are encroaching on your home, or that there is an insect nest on your property. You’ll want to address these issues sooner rather than later.
These larger tasks should be handled annually:
- If you have a storage space in your home, now is the time to clean and organise it. Although this can take quite a bit of time, it’s more than worth the effort. Best of all, you may uncover some items that can be donated or even sold.
- You should take the time to clean your windows and glass. You don’t necessarily have to do this during the spring. It’s something that can be done any month of the year.
- Each year, you should pick a large outdoor home improvement project to tackle. Set aside extra time so that you can get the job done. There are many different tasks you could take on. Now is an excellent time to place raised beds in your garden, put up a fence, or even paint your homes.
- You should take on smaller outdoor projects as well. If you have holes in your home, you should place wire grates there so that you won’t have a pest problem. Trim or remove shrubs. Clean your gutters.
- Pick a single room to upgrade. It doesn’t matter which room it is; only that it’s a different room each year. You can make all kinds of upgrades, large and small. You could add new decor pieces. You could rearrange the furniture. You could even paint. If you keep this up, it won’t be long before your entire house looks fantastic!